Monday, December 04, 2006

Inside My Head

Hey All,

It's been a while since my last message. Discipleship is a long and tedious process. I have to let time pass and see what God is doing. I can't just jump on here and publish every do-dad my students or myself are doing otherwise it tuns into the equivalence of The Truman show. I read an article in Christianity Today with Dallas Willard. He says, and I paraphrase, "not many today are intersted in discipleship". This is coming from a pretty smart guy who has his hand on the pulse of American brand Christianity. I guess it's not an awefully new revelation considering that churches are indecline. We're quick to say, "oh, theirs revival over their" or "oooh look God is really doing something there!".

It is a shame they we do not celebrate the steady, the consistent and the perservering. No one says "look they have a small group of married couples who are trying to make their marriages stronger!" or "look, they just started a pantry ministry for those who are hungry!" I am Pentecostal to the core but I don't chase movements.

In fact it makes me consider the Scripture,

Matthew 24:24-27

For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect--if that were possible. 25 See, I have told you ahead of time. 26 "So if anyone tells you, 'There he is, out in the desert,' do not go out; or, 'Here he is, in the inner rooms,' do not believe it. 27 For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.

Now, I am not saying that every Pastor or leader who is drawing a crowd is a cult leader or false prophet. I am saying that we are too quick to put the stamp of God's approval on sporatic, spiritual encounters that are here today and gone tomorrow. The Scipture also says,

I John 4:1-3

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

We need to be to the Church what Consumer Reports is for flat screens and ipods. We must test those movements and and see the fruit it is bearing. I would also include that when supernatual power and filthy natural man collide you have a mess. The condition of the vessel should not discount the aroma of the wine. If so, we would always negate ourselves from sharing the gospel or doing any good work.

So, that's what is inside my head today. Have a great day!


Let the sparks fly!

No comments: